Since 2005, I have been teaching writing at four-year universities as well as some of the Sacramento-area community colleges. I have taught courses in basic writing, first-year writing, writing across the curriculum, writing in the disciplines, business writing, and health writing. I have also taught hybrid and online courses in writing at various institutions.
My teaching approach is based on developing rhetorical awareness in writers through analysis of others' texts and metacognition of one's own writing situations and choices. I want students to take agency over their own learning processes and encourage active participation and full engagement in all my classes. I also appreciate a relaxed atmosphere in which the occasional dad-joke or meme is part of our class session. One student said that I had "an aura of chill."
- MA, English - Sacramento State University
- Teaching College Composition, Certificate - Sacramento State University
- BA, English - Sacramento State University
(and recent presentations)
- "How Collaborating on Hybrid Courses Leads to Program Assessment and Faculty Development." Eleventh International Conference on e-Learning & Innovative Pedagogies, March 2018
- “Shareable Links”: Engaging Students with Us, Themselves, and Others through Google Apps.” 2017 Annual Conference of the Council for Programs in Technical and Scientific Communication (CPTSC), October 2017
- “The Effects of Traditional Word Count and Grading Requirements on the Implementation and Evaluation of New Writing Pedagogies.” UC Writing Conference, Santa Barbara, October 2016
- “Reading and Reflecting: Using Annotations and Self-Reflection Journals to Increase Genre Awareness.” CSUS Reading and Writing Across the Curriculum Conference, April 2015