What is a writing consultation?
At UC Davis, our Graduate Writing Fellows offer one-on-one writing consultations with enrolled UC Davis graduate students and postdocs. Consultations offer scholars the opportunity to:
- Engage in a conversation about their writing.
- Receive feedback on the clarity of their thoughts, the organization of their ideas, or their approach to a particular writing task.
- Identify patterns of error in writing. NOTE: Graduate Writing Fellows do not proofread work; we are not an editing service.
- Work on writing in a low-stakes, low-stress environment, with a peer.
We help scholars at any stage of the writing process and with a variety of documents, including: graduate-level seminar papers, portions of a thesis or dissertation, journal articles, grant proposals, abstracts, conference proposals, conference talks, etc.
How do I schedule a writing consultation?
All consultations are half hour appointments. Only one consultation can be scheduled at a time; a second consultation cannot be booked until the first one is completed. Eligible scholars can schedule up to six half hour consultations every quarter. We do not offer consultations during finals week or on university holidays (e.g. Martin Luther King Day, Spring Break, etc.).
Please note that consultations are only for currently-enrolled graduate students and postdoctoral scholars in disciplines served by Graduate Studies. UC Davis Graduate students pursuing one of the following degree objectives: PhD, EdD, MA, MS, MFA, MPH, or MHS are eligible for consultations. The School of Nursing has its own graduate writing fellow who holds consultations in Sacramento at the School of Nursing.
Where are writing consultations held?
For Graduate Studies students, consultations are held on main campus in Voorhies Hall, room 181. For Nursing students, consultations are held in the Betty Irene Moore building, room 1145. We are able to schedule a Skype or Google Hangout consultation if coming to campus does not work for you. Please contact us.
Help, I'm having trouble scheduling a consultation!
If you are having trouble scheduling a consultation, please be sure of the following:
- you logged into the Advising system using your UC Davis credentials
- you have selected "Any available advisor" from the drop down menu at the top of the calendar (perhaps the Graduate Writing Fellow you had hoped to work with no longer has availability).
- it is not finals week or a university holiday (we do not hold consultations during these times). If we are on a break between quarters, consultation times likely will not go live until shortly before the start of the quarter. We do not allow scheduling of consultations more than a few months in advance.
- you have not already had 6 consultations this quarter. To better serve all graduate students and postdocs on campus, we place a limit of 6 consultations per quarter - this will reset at the beginning of every quarter. If you have reached your consultation limit for this quarter, consider using some of these other campus resources. You can also check out our list of self-help, online resources.
- you do not already have a consultation scheduled. A second consultation cannot be scheduled until after the first one is completed.
In summary, if you are not seeing any available appointments, that is because we no longer have availability. Please do not email to ask us about availability. If your situation falls outside of the above circumstances, please contact us.